Monday, September 21, 2015

What have I done?

Two weeks ago I witnessed something special.  A neighbor of mine had registered and trained for the IRONMAN Wisconsin.  I was a part of his 'support team', which, is to stay, I ran around the course to cheer him on at various points.

To witness this spectacle is something else.  People of all ages, abilities and sizes register and compete in this grueling event.  Each one of them is a physical incarnation of human will.  To say that I was inspired would be putting it mildly.  After seeing my neighbor's smile, both during and after the race, I knew one thing - I wanted.  No.  I NEEDED to be a member of this fraternity.  

Today I registered for the IRONMAN Wisconsin 2016.   Registering is a big thing - its expensive and there is essentially no refund (Well, there are cases where refunds are given but, "I didn't train enough and won't be able to finish is NOT one of them."). That gives me about 50 weeks to get myself back in shape to compete. The thing is, I turn 40 in January.  I have a wife. I have 2 kids.  I work a desk job.  

As I sit here writing this, I just keep thinking,

what have I done...

No comments:

Post a Comment