Friday, October 16, 2015

And I'm In Over My Head

330 days to go.  Its been 2 weeks since the last post and boy how things have changed.  Remember that training team I told you about?  The one that starts January 1st?  Yeah, about that.  It started Tuesday.

I am officially on a team.  Its only the first week, but the team itself seems very good.  I haven't actually met anyone, or even either of the coaches, but I have a training plan in TrainingPeaks and have had an email conversation with one of the coaches.

The only thing I know for sure at this point is that I'm in a little over my head right now.  Don't get me wrong, the training plan is pretty awesome.  The goals, however, are not.  I knew when I registered that I had a long way to go before I was in 'Iron Man' shape.  I was also honest with myself and defined 'Iron Man' shape as simply finishing within the time limits.  Now that I see the schedule, I feel like I am even further behind than I thought I was.

I'll give you an example of my first scheduled training. Its a run.  Its supposed to be 40 minutes in Zone 2 (ie, very easy) and you're supposed to be able to run 4+ miles.  You see, that last part is the hard part.  In Zone 2, I'm running 12 minute miles (yes, THAT slow).  So I was able to go about 3.5 miles in the 40 minutes, but spent most of my time in Zone 3.

Now, I don't think that's a long-term issue.  My fitness will increase.  My weight continues to go down.  I expect to get to those numbers in the next couple of months.  But is that fast enough?  Do I have enough time to build the fitness I need?  15 days ago I would have said, 'Yes'.  Today, I say, "I don't know."

So the wild ride continues....

No comments:

Post a Comment